Monday, January 16, 2012

Progress: Upward, Backward, and Very Tiny ...

So, since I finished the Lavendar Socks a few weeks ago, I've been wanting to start some new socks with some self-striping sock yarn I've had for a while.

I decided to try a "toe-up" sock pattern this time ... I've only ever knitted socks starting at the top, so this is new. So far, so good. I'm using this pattern (free, online. Yay!)

It's Upward Progress ...

Knitted Striped Socks

In handsewing news, on my Vintage Diamonds, I was using a loosely-woven muslin for the stars. I thought it would go well with the vintage fabrics, in keeping with the "homespun" feel. I convinced myself it would be fine. Even though the muslin was SO loosely woven. Even though every completed star felt loose and unstable. Even though my cardstock diamond "papers" poked through the loose weave at the diamond corners.

So. I'm done trying to talk myself into that. I'm redoing the muslin stars with some REAL muslin. I'm much happier with it. Delighted, in fact.

Vintage English Paper Piecing Diamonds

So, it's Backward Progress, in a way. Because, now I have 3 completed stars, instead of the 6 I mentioned before. But they're so much nicer.

Vintage English Paper Piecing 3 assembled stars

I might leave these assembled stars un-sewn-together, as is, for now. Because, needing more fabric for this project, and not having any more actual vintage fabric around, I recently bought some cute new 1930s reproduction fabric. I'll probably reserve the reproduction fabrics for the border, with the vintage as the centerpiece of the quilt.

We shall see ...

And, in Very Tiny Progress:
The Mini-Hexagon companion to the vintage English Paper Piecing ... I've been keeping this project handy for the occasional quiet moment ... (Earlier notes on this project here and here.)

Vintage Tiny EPP Hexagons



Little Quilt Mondays at Pieceful Life are a great gathering of tiny quilt-y projects - I'm linking this post to this week's Little Quilt Monday ...




Take Your Time Tuesdays are a fun place to see handwork at So Happy To Sew!
I'll be linking this post to this week's Take Your Time Tuesday!






1 comment:

  1. The sock in progress picture is so funny! Love it.

    I bought a few 30s fat quarter packs a while back at Keepsake Quilting. Nice, if your looking for a certain color.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...